A medical malpractice lawyer is someone who is going to handle all your medical lawsuits. These cases arises due to negligent behavior of medical professionals or services. Medical malpractice lawyer are well versed with all the medical laws and standards, as well as the guidelines that governs ethical and professional conduct in medical field.
Moreover, you should get yourself a good lawyer. For instance if you live in Houston, TX you can find medical malpractice attorney Houston by looking on several websites and local search engines.
Most complaints that people have with lawyers fall under one of the four categories and having more than one problem is really common.
You should get a quality service from you lawyer and if at any point you feel unsatisfied with your lawyer you have the right to change him/her.
- Communication with your lawyer
Communication is really important between a lawyer and his client. It might create problem for both of them if the communication is not right. If you don’t know what’s going on with your lawsuit, you can assume that your lawyer is not that good even if he’s doing a great job.
Either way without communication this whole process might become stressful and you might end up losing your lawyer in all this as well.
You and your lawyer should discuss:
- All the available options that are available in your legal matter
- The strategy that he is going to use
- A timeline of the events
- He/she should talk to you on phone or in person time to time
A client should also understand the fact that the lawyer might be busy with his other cases sometimes so the client should not force his opinions and schedules onto the lawyer.
- Your right to attorney competence
You should know that there is not surety that your lawyer will win your case. It is really a relative subject as well. As the losing party might never feel satisfied with their lawyers work. However if the lawyer is making any kind of mistake in handling your case you can sue your lawyer as well.
- Ethics of your lawyer
Your lawyer should be extremely professional and follow all the ethics while handing any case.
- The lawyer should represent his/her client with utmost loyalty.
- They should be able to keep all of their client’s date to themselves.
- They should represent their clients within the bounds of the law.
- They should put their client’s interests ahead of their own.
- Understanding of legal fees
It’s always important that you talk about the fees with your lawyer beforehand. You can draft an agreement for this to avoid any future conflict. The agreement should specify how often you will be billed and all other necessary details.
Other than this you lawyer should:
- Acknowledge that your are in charge of the whole decision making process
- They should tell you what you can expect in terms of their service and claim
- Explain you the timeline of events
- Prepare you for your trial
- Device a strategy for your case
- Prepare you for your disposition
- Explain you all the risks that are involved
While as a client you should consider the following things as well:
- Follow through what you’ve agreed to
- Prepare all the relevant document
- Tell your lawyer everything regarding your case
- Inform your lawyer of any new developments
- Be flexible with your meeting schedule as your lawyer might not always be free
- Pay your fees on time